We started doing a rundown of New Years Eve events a few years ago, and every year seems to bring more and fun events and a wider array of choices. Yay! Here is this years rundown of NYE events for those who want to stay local. Cheers!
- Bluebird Sky Yoga is offering up a class called “Tranquil New Year Celebration: Extended Restorative Yoga Class and Intention-Setting”. From the class description: Please join us to close out 2017 with a special Restorative Yoga class focused on settling into the New Year with peace and tranquility. The practice of Restorative yoga invites us to find moments of pause in our lives. Together we’ll pause and take time to calm our physical and emotional bodies before embarking on another trip around the sun. As a community, we’ll clear out the mental clutter from 2017 and set a collective intention for positive change, being present in our lives, and sangha (community full of love and compassion) in 2018. Bring a journal and pen and perhaps a friend or family member to join in the fun. The class begins at 5:00 pm on New Years Eve and you can sign up here. Bluebird Sky is located at 3101 12th St NE.
- Brookland’s Finest will serve up a three-course dinner for two this New Year’s Eve. Priced at $75 (for two people), guests can enjoy a Shrimp Cocktail to start, made with Gulf shrimp, spicy cocktail sauce and Old Bay vinaigrette. Surf and Turf is the second course served with rib eye, whole wild Maine lobster, grilled rapini, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and Béarnaise sauce. Red Velvet Cake, a recipe from Chef Shannan’s grandmother, rounds out dessert. The full menu can be found here. Also, they will have a New Years Day brunch featuring a bloody mary bar, details can be found here. Brookland’s Finest is located at 3126 12th St NE.
- Brookland Pint will be open on New Years Eve from 10:00 am – 2:00 am and on New Years Day from 11:00 am – 2:00 am. They will be having some NYE specials including pan seared scallops, Sea Bass with white wine sauce, grilled pork chops and chocolate peanut butter pie. Brookland Pint is located at 716 Monroe Street, NE.
- Busboys and Poets will have an event called “Seeding the Resistance in the New Year”. From the event page: Welcome the New Year with Busboys and Poets to refuel and renew! We will be offering Happy Hour All Night! As a special gift, we will offer guests seeded paper to write your intentions, visions, goals and strategies for a new you- or a new, better world. Busboys will also be having a New Years Day pajama brunch from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Busboys and Poets is located at 625 Monroe St NE.
- Dew Drop Inn is offering up their annual New Years Eve dance party again with a DJ from 8:00 pm – 2:00 am. From the event page: “Come join us for New Years Eve down by the tracks. Doors open at 8pm and its free to get in. We’ll have DJ Jerry Jones making the dance party happen and an intergalactic ice luge (we’ll leave you guessing on that). And of course a champagne toast at midnight. Help say goodbye forever to 2017 and bring good vibes to 2018. Dew dance inn!” The Dew Drop Inn is located at 2801 8th Street NE.
- Hellbender Brewing Company is a bit north of Brookland, but we included it for the beer lovers. This NYE party boasts a “chill vibe” and costs $25 a person. From the event page: “Your ticket gets you dinner plus your first beer, and this year we’re upping our food game with the Project Milanesa food truck, purveyors of amazing Argentinian street food fit for carnivores and veggies alike! Everyone’s favorite bartender, LT, will play the tunes again and we’ll have a linup of great craft beers for you to enjoy all night long. We’ll even have a bit of cider for that friend that “doesn’t drink beer.” The party goes from 8pm – 2 am. Hellbender Brewing Company is located at 5788 2nd Street NE.
- The Public Option invites neighbors to raise a glass of their local microbrew to ring in the new year. The event page simply says: “Come celebrate the end of 2017 with us! It’s gonna get crazy!” The The party goes from 5pm to 12:30 am. The Public Option is located in nearby Langdon at 1601 Rhode Island Ave. NE
We haven’t seen any NYE news from Right Proper, Steel Plate or Smith Public Trust, but will update this post if we do. Unfortunately, newcomer Primrose will not be open. We hope everyone has a fantastic New Years no matter what your plans!