We are going to bet that readers don’t need a lot of backstory on this new restaurant, or the storied history of its location. And since this is our first blog post of 2018, we are hitting the re-set button on the northeast corner of 12th and Kearny all together. Masala Story is here my friends, and it is so yummy.
Perhaps opening during the arctic blasted first days of 2018 is fortuitous, since spices and rich sauces that warm the belly are what we all need right now. Bottom line, Masala Story is a decidedly casual and family affair. As much as I love all the new restaurants that opened on 12th Street in recent years, I think there is a real need for inviting yet affordable places for everyone from young families eating out to those wanting a quick but homey plate of food to go. Not to mention, we are excited to see greater variety in our local dining options. Here are some pics from our visit (you need flash to see the photos. If you can’t see them click here.)
The menu is written out on a large chalk board and one of the first things we noticed was the variety of vegan ($12/platter) and vegetarian ($13/platter) options as well as meat dishes ($12 -$15/platter). There is also a pretty good selection of beer and wine including local beers from breweries like Atlas, DC Brau, and Right Proper, as well has basic hard liquor options like vodka, gin, and rum.
- A Veggie platter – you pick two from a variety of dishes. We selected palak paneer and shahi paneer, both were very tasty
- Curry Goat – the meat was very tender and the sauce was yummy
- Chicken Tikka Masala – we found it to be a little bit salty, but once we combined it with the rice and chick peas, everything leveled out
- Curry Lamb – this was probably our favorite dish of the day. It was really excellent and the meat was very tender and the sauce was so flavorful
- Garlic flatbread – tasty, tender and warm
- Chickpeas – really delicious, with just the right amount of spice
Masala Story is located 3301 12th Street, NE (12th and Kearny) – welcome to the neighborhood!