Now that the weather is getting warmer, we are going to start seeing outdoor movie nights pop up – Hooray! This one, coming up on Sunday May 8th has a small cover charge ($5) but is for a good cause. From a community message:
Come on out to the Arts Walk at Monroe Street Market on May 8th at 8pm to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding! Thanks to co-sponsors Menkiti and Monroe Street Market, this outdoor movie night is a great opportunity to gather the community and support a neighborhood school, Elsie Whitlow Stokes Community Freedom Public Charter School.
The tickets are $5 each and include popcorn. All proceeds will benefit Stokes’ The Good Life event on May 21st at DC Brau. Get your tickets here or on site on the day of the event. For more information check out Stokes’ Facebook page here.
The Arts Walk is located at 716 Monroe St NE.
An award winning school here in Brookland, the Elsie Whitlow Stokes Charter School, is offering a wide variety of classes for adults and children as part of its Saturday Academy. Classes begin January 11, 2014 and go through March 22, so sign up ASAP. Most classes cost $70 for the semester or the drop-in fee is $20, payable by check or credit card.
Here is the list of classes:
- Crocheting $70, 10:00am-noon, Children & Adults
- Knitting, $70, 10:00am-noon, 6 Children (age 10 & up) & 2 Adults
- Scrapbooking, $70, 10:00am-noon, Adults (Family Activity)
- Mosaics, $70, 10:00am-noon, 4th–6th graders
- Arts & Crafts (students will split the hour with the Yoga class), $35, 10:00-10:30am 3rd-6th graders
10:30-11:00am PreK-2nd graders
- Steel Drums, $70, 10:00-11:00am, Children & Adults
- Guitar, $70, 11:00am-noon, Children & Adults
- Electronic Keyboards, $70, 10:00am-11:00am or 11:00am-noon, (2 one-hour sessions)
- Chess Club, $70, 10:00am-noon, Children & Adults
- Science/Robotics/Engineering, $70, 10:00am-noon, Children
- Yoga (students will split the hour with the Arts & Crafts class), $35, 10:00-10:30am PreK-2nd graders
10:30-11:00am 3rd-6th graders
- Zumba Class, $100, 10:00-11:00am, Adults
- Line Dancing, $100, 11:00am-noon, Adults
- Parent & Child French Book Club, $50, 10:00-11:00am, (3rd Saturday of the month), K, 1st & 2nd graders
- Beginner French, $70, 10:00-11:00am, Children
- Beginner French, $70, 11:00am-noon, Adults
- Conversational Spanish, $70, 10:00-11:00am, Adults
- Beginner Spanish, $70, 11:00am-noon, Adults
- Beginner Swahili, $70, 10:00-11:00am, Adults
- Beginner Swahili, $70, 11:00am-noon, Children
For more information on the Saturday Academy click here. To register and pay online, go here and select “other,” then in the comment field, include the following information: Saturday Academy (class name) for (students’ names). You will also need to fill out a registration form for each adult or child, which can be submitted on the first day. To confirm registration or for any other questions, contact Ms. Hurlston at jo-anneh(at)ewstokes(dot)org. The Stokes School is located at 3700 Oakview Terrace, NE (between 12th and 13th and Perry and Otis Sts NE).
We were happy to learn that the founder of the Elsie Whitlow Stokes Charter School located here in Brookland will be inducted into the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools national hall of fame. According to this story in the Washington Post, this is “a recognition reserved for three people each year who have made outstanding contributions to the charter movement and its students.”
The school was founded in 1998 by Linda Moore, who named the Stokes School after her mother. Since that time the school has seen a lot of success and has become a top choice for DC parents looking to send their kids to a charter school. The mission of the school is to:
…prepare culturally diverse elementary school students to be leaders, scholars, and responsible citizens who are committed to social justice. Stokes School teaches students to think, speak, read, write, and learn in two languages: English and French and English and Spanish. With a dual focus on academic excellence and community service, Stokes School accomplishes this mission by creating an environment of achievement, respect, and non-violence.
Congratulation to Ms. Moore and many thanks to reader Liane for passing this story along to us! The Stokes School is located at 3700 Oakview Terrace, NE.