Louisiana cuisine will be the focus of the menu. The first course features Crispy Frog Legs with Remoulade Sauce paired with a rosemary infused Gin Rickey. Etouffée with Gulf shrimp, crawfish, and andouille sausage is the second course, which will be paired with a play on a French 75 made with Verbena Infused District Made Vodka. For dessert, guests will enjoy Bananas Foster Beignets with chocolate ganache and fresh fruit served alongside a Sazerac made with Rock Creek Rye. The full menu, available for $35 per person, can be found here. Brookland’s Finest is located at 3126 12th Street, NE.
We started doing a rundown of New Years Eve events a few years ago, and every year seems to bring more and fun events and a wider array of choices. Yay! Here is this years rundown of NYE events for those who want to stay local. Cheers!
- Bluebird Sky Yoga is offering up a class called “Tranquil New Year Celebration: Extended Restorative Yoga Class and Intention-Setting”. From the class description: Please join us to close out 2017 with a special Restorative Yoga class focused on settling into the New Year with peace and tranquility. The practice of Restorative yoga invites us to find moments of pause in our lives. Together we’ll pause and take time to calm our physical and emotional bodies before embarking on another trip around the sun. As a community, we’ll clear out the mental clutter from 2017 and set a collective intention for positive change, being present in our lives, and sangha (community full of love and compassion) in 2018. Bring a journal and pen and perhaps a friend or family member to join in the fun. The class begins at 5:00 pm on New Years Eve and you can sign up here. Bluebird Sky is located at 3101 12th St NE.
- Brookland’s Finest will serve up a three-course dinner for two this New Year’s Eve. Priced at $75 (for two people), guests can enjoy a Shrimp Cocktail to start, made with Gulf shrimp, spicy cocktail sauce and Old Bay vinaigrette. Surf and Turf is the second course served with rib eye, whole wild Maine lobster, grilled rapini, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, and Béarnaise sauce. Red Velvet Cake, a recipe from Chef Shannan’s grandmother, rounds out dessert. The full menu can be found here. Also, they will have a New Years Day brunch featuring a bloody mary bar, details can be found here. Brookland’s Finest is located at 3126 12th St NE.
- Brookland Pint will be open on New Years Eve from 10:00 am – 2:00 am and on New Years Day from 11:00 am – 2:00 am. They will be having some NYE specials including pan seared scallops, Sea Bass with white wine sauce, grilled pork chops and chocolate peanut butter pie. Brookland Pint is located at 716 Monroe Street, NE.
- Busboys and Poets will have an event called “Seeding the Resistance in the New Year”. From the event page: Welcome the New Year with Busboys and Poets to refuel and renew! We will be offering Happy Hour All Night! As a special gift, we will offer guests seeded paper to write your intentions, visions, goals and strategies for a new you- or a new, better world. Busboys will also be having a New Years Day pajama brunch from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Busboys and Poets is located at 625 Monroe St NE.
- Dew Drop Inn is offering up their annual New Years Eve dance party again with a DJ from 8:00 pm – 2:00 am. From the event page: “Come join us for New Years Eve down by the tracks. Doors open at 8pm and its free to get in. We’ll have DJ Jerry Jones making the dance party happen and an intergalactic ice luge (we’ll leave you guessing on that). And of course a champagne toast at midnight. Help say goodbye forever to 2017 and bring good vibes to 2018. Dew dance inn!” The Dew Drop Inn is located at 2801 8th Street NE.
- Hellbender Brewing Company is a bit north of Brookland, but we included it for the beer lovers. This NYE party boasts a “chill vibe” and costs $25 a person. From the event page: “Your ticket gets you dinner plus your first beer, and this year we’re upping our food game with the Project Milanesa food truck, purveyors of amazing Argentinian street food fit for carnivores and veggies alike! Everyone’s favorite bartender, LT, will play the tunes again and we’ll have a linup of great craft beers for you to enjoy all night long. We’ll even have a bit of cider for that friend that “doesn’t drink beer.” The party goes from 8pm – 2 am. Hellbender Brewing Company is located at 5788 2nd Street NE.
- The Public Option invites neighbors to raise a glass of their local microbrew to ring in the new year. The event page simply says: “Come celebrate the end of 2017 with us! It’s gonna get crazy!” The The party goes from 5pm to 12:30 am. The Public Option is located in nearby Langdon at 1601 Rhode Island Ave. NE
We haven’t seen any NYE news from Right Proper, Steel Plate or Smith Public Trust, but will update this post if we do. Unfortunately, newcomer Primrose will not be open. We hope everyone has a fantastic New Years no matter what your plans!
The organizers of the Ward 5 Happy Hour arebringing their next event to Brookland’s Finest. The happy hour is taking place Thursday September 7th between 6-8pm. These events are a great chance to connect or reconnect with friends and neighbors. Here are the details about the event from an email or you can visit the Ward 5 Happy Hour facebook page. See you there!
The September Ward 5 Community Happy Hour will be
held at Brookland’s Finest! !
Come enjoy food and drinks
with your friends and neighbors, old and new on the patio!
Thursday, September 7, 2017
3126 12th Street, NE
Washington, DC 20017
There is some street parking on and around 12th Street. There are several nearby bus lines in addition to close proximity of both Rhode Island Avenue and Brookland Metro stations. Capital bike share and Uber or Lyft are other travel options.
Please feel free to invite and share this information with your neighbors!
For more information contact us via
email at ward5communityhappyhour@gma il.com
find us on Facebook Ward 5 Community Happy Hour or find us on Twitter @ward5happyhour
DC Beer Week just got underway! From the website:
This eight day festival celebrates the Capital region’s craft beer community! Throughout the week, local breweries, restaurants, bars & community partners will bring you the area’s best craft beer tastings, educational seminars, and events possible!
Here is a rundown of ways to participate berrhere in our neighborhood:
- Wednesday, August 23rd: Brookland’s Finest. From the event page: Brookland’s Finest Collaborative Menu with Denizens Brewing Co and Republic Restoratives Distillery is taking place on Wed. August 23rd starting at 5pm! You don’t want to miss this amazing three course tasting menu paired with beer cocktails! $35/person
- Thursday, August 24th: Commonwealth Brewing Tap Takeover at Brookland Pint. From the event page: Expect a bevy of taps from Virginia Beach-based Commonwealth Brewing including flagships and special releases!
- Saturday, August 26th: Brookland Pint. From the event page: Join 3 Stars Brewing Company and Brookland Pint for The Brookland Crab Fest! If you have been in the DMV long enough, you know that summer is never truly here until you have crushed some crabs! We will be opening our patio for an amazing event with great local craft beer and locally sourced Maryland Blue Crabs! $55 affords you all the crabs you can eat in a 3-hour window, and a 3 Stars beer!
- Sunday August 27th: Right Proper Brewing Co. From the event page: Come by Right Proper’s Brookland Tasting Room & Production House for a day filled with music and beer! Browse through records from Songbyrd Café and others with your favorite Right Proper beer in hand. Tie dye your own Right Proper t-shirt while DJ Tim Lake spins some tunes from his own record collection. EAT 170 and Stella’s PopKern will also be on hand dishing up some tasty treats. The fun runs from 11am-5pm, so stop by anytime! No ticket necessary.
We thought local-crab-loving neighbors would appreciate this ongoing special from Brookland’s Finest. From their Instagram post:
Our crab boils are back! We are serving MD Crab with andouille sausage (we can leave it out if you’re so inclined), roasted potatoes, sweet corn and @dcbrau Pride Pils for $30! It will be our dinner special tonight and every Tuesday this summer at 5 PM!
Brookland’s Finest Bar & Kitchen is located at 3126 12th Street, NE.
How time flies! Popular neighborhood restaurant Brookland’s Finest will have its third year anniversary this coming weekend. Check out the menu below and don’t forget to order one of DC Brau’s special Pride Pils German Pilsner in honor of Capital Pride Week. From an email:
Brookland’s Finest will celebrate their 3rd anniversary on June 9, 10 and 11 with a weekend-long BBQ. For this weekend only, the restaurant will feature a smoker on the outdoor patio, which they will use for various special menu items created by Partner/Executive Chef Shannan Troncoso, including smoked wings, smoked mac and cheese, a smoked crab cake sandwich and a smoked chocolate brownie. Together with partners Tony Tomeldon of The Pug and John Solomon of Solly’s, who both celebrated their bars’ respective 10th anniversaries earlier this year, the trio will celebrate their official third anniversary on June 9.
Sounds great! Brookland’s Finest Bar & Kitchen is located at 3126 12th Street, NE.
We were excited to learn that nearby brewer DC Brau will re-package 200 cases of their Brau Pils as Pride Pils in honor of Capital Pride, Washington, DC’s celebration of the LGBT community. If you would like to give it a try, Brookland’s Finest has partnered with DC Brau for the weekend to serve their special Pride Pils from June 8-11. From a press release:
Proceeds from the sale of PRIDE PILS will benefit local LGBTQ youth empowerment program, SMYAL, and The Blade Foundation, which is dedicated to preserving the Blade’s legacy while funding new enterprise journalism projects and encouraging the next generation of LGBT journalists.
Sounds great! We can’t wait to try it.
Good news morning people – we are excited to learn that Brookland’s Finest is expanding their operating hours to include daily breakfast. From Chef Shannan Troncoso:
Breakfast starts April, 3rd (opening day!). 7 AM Monday – Friday. Brunch will be 9 AM Saturday and Sunday. We will serve Zeke’s coffee- Regular, Decaf, and Iced Coffee (no espresso drinks)!
Check out the menu below. It is a combination of some of their weekend brunch items with some new additions such as muffins, scones and biscuits, which will be freshly baked by the restaurant’s Pastry Chef Inma Bonarelli. Also note, they will be opening earlier for Saturday and Sunday brunch at 9:00 am.
Today is the Day Without Immigrants protest, and several of our local businesses are taking a stand in solidarity with their immigrant staff. We thought readers would like to know which restaurants are closed or offering limited menus so that their employees may attend the protest. This list is being updated as we get new information. Way to go guys!
- From Brookland’s Finest: We’re closed on Thursday in support of our staff who’ll participate in #ADayWithoutImmigrants protest
- From Brookland Pint: As a Latino business owner I stand in solidarity with all of my immigrant staff. Therefore, we will close our kitchen this Thursday in support of our immigrant staff’s desire and right to protest the evolving state of immigration policies in our country. Our bars will remain open and our guests are welcome to BYOF (bring your own food.) -John Andrade, owner
- From Busboys and Poets: Our founder @andyshallal is an immigrant in solidarity #ADayWithoutImmigrants. We will be closed on Thurs. Immigrants make America great!
- According to a story in the Washingtonian, The Dew Drop Inn will close its kitchen, but the bar will be open.
- Although not in Brookland, the District Fishwife, located in Union Market, is owned by a Brooklander: The District Fishwife is an immigrant-owned business and stands by our team. We will be closing our kitchen all day…
- From Nido, around the corner in Woodridge: We will be closed tomorrow in solidarity with our staff. Immigrants are the backbone of the restaurant industry and without them Nido would not exist. We invite you to join us on Monday to raise funds for Ayuda and show your support and appreciation for the individuals and families who work and sacrifice to serve our community every day.
- Steel Plate will close its kitchen, but the bar will be open.
We thought neighbors would like to know about these specials going on at Brookland’s Finest. From an email:
During inauguration week, Brookland’s Finest will tap a keg from women-owned brewery Denizens Brewing Company, donating proceeds from the beer to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. The bar will also serve $10 White Russians and $10 Orange Russians (fresh squeezed orange juice, simple syrup, vanilla-infused Civic vodka and cream), with proceeds also going to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
Brookland’s Finest Bar & Kitchen is located at 3126 12th Street, NE.