One of our favorite neighborhood features is Fort Bunker Hill Park. A national park, it is the highest point in Brookland and located within the borders of 13th, 14th, Otis and Perry Streets, NE. Unfortunately, sometimes it is in need of some TLC. That’s why we were happy to hear that the The Brookland Neighborhood Civic Association (BNCA) will be sponsoring another cleanup event.
From an email:
The Brookland Neighborhood Civic Association, in partnership with the National Park Service, is sponsoring a cleanup event at Fort Bunker Hill Park from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm on Saturday, April 8. Fort Bunker Hill Park is managed by the National Park Service, and BNCA has formed a partnership with them to provide local and long-term stewardship of the park.
We’ll focus primarily on cleaning up trash and debris, and we’ll provide all volunteers with work gloves and trash bags. Meet at the corner of 14th and Otis St. NE at 10:00 am. Children are encouraged to participate. For any high school students seeking school credit, please bring the forms from your school.
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com or 571-334-6326.
Save the date for the Great Brookland Yard Sale – now in its 10th year, it will take place on Saturday, May 6th, from 10:00 am-2:00 pm (though individual sale hours may vary). The GBYS is a set date for Brookland residents to host concurrent yard sales and sign ups are underway. To register your sale use the GBYS online sign-up form, or call 202-733-5475. More details below the flyer.
- This year there will be a staging location at Atlantic Electric, 3726 10th Street NE (near Turkey Thicket) with vendors, booths and neighbors.
- There is limited space for vendors and neighbors without a yard.
- The published map of sales closes on May 1st, 2017. Registrations will be accepted afterward, but may not be included on the map.
- Yard Sale registration is free, but donations are appreciated.
- Want to donate unsold items? There will be a donation truck across from Turkey Ticket at Atlantic Electric; 3726 10TH ST NE. Bring unsold items before 3PM.
- The rain date is May 13th.
The GBYS is organized by the Brookland Neighborhood Civic Association (BNCA) and is a positive event for the neighborhood. It brings people from across the city into Brookland to see what a great community we have, it gets us out and about to meet our neighbors, and those who have yard sales get rid of stuff and make a little bit of money. Check out the GBYS website for more information.