After much anticipation, the &Pizza location at the Monroe Street Market development opens today. Lucky for us, Alia Khayrullina, &Pizza’s Community Manager, hooked us up with a sneak peek of the restaurant Saturday (see pics above). If you didn’t catch our earlier review of the &Pizza H Street location, you can read it here. As expected the pizza was high quality and delicious. It is so great to have a new fast/casual option for dining in the neighborhood. I love how &Pizza uses creative high quality ingredients, yet remains affordable – I anticipate that this place will be very successful. The restaurant is located on the retail/street level of the Portland Flats building (664 Monroe Street NE) and has the hip vibe of the other locations, anchored in modern, crisp-looking black and white decor. Here are more details from Monroe Street Market General Manager David Raley:
– 1st Monroe Street Market store to offer patio seating.
– Signature black and white design elements are familiar to all the &pizza locations, but the new style of imagery brings out the diversity and amity the neighborhood prides itself in.
– The new large scale images evoke emotion and help to activate the large walls and high ceiling the space had to offer.
– Bathrooms with mirrored tile and characters from emerging local artist Kelly Towles.
– A large ampersand is found on the exterior of the store, made out of cut steel, exposing the foundational brick seen throughout the newly developed building.
“There’s a sense of neighborhood pride and we wanted to create something that would add to that,” said Michael Lastoria. “The history and character of the neighborhood drew us here and continues to inspire us daily.”
The hours will be 10:00 am – 11:00 pm Sunday – Thursday and 10:00 am – 12:00 am Friday – Saturday. The location at Monroe Street Market will be the 5th location for this small chain; the other stores are on H Street, U Street, Bethesda, and Germantown.