Askale Cafe Patio Plans and Construction, a set on Flickr.
We sat down with Asratie Teferra, the co-owner of Askale Café to get caught up with how the Ethiopian restaurant that opened this summer is doing. As is to be expected, they have learned a few lessons along the way and are excited about new improvements they plan to make. Here is a rundown of what is going on at the Café:
- The most exciting development is that the outdoor dining area they have been planning along Otis Street NE is finally underway. It took a while to secure the permits from DCRA, but now the project is going full steam ahead. Asratie told us “the deck under construction is 15 by 15 feet and wheel-chair accessible to bring in patrons in to the cafe. It is also a green deck, with five planter-boxes to be installed around it. Rain water will be harvested and contained to water plants that will be in the planter boxes.” We love that they are incorporating green elements into the deck! It is expected that the deck will be completed in about 10 days. They hope to serve guests on the deck year-round. It will have an iron railing and dogs will be allowed.
- The Café is also planning on installing awnings along 12th Street and a 13 by 15 feet canopy over the deck. Asratie said “they will beautify the front and also reduce the sun-glare coming in the afternoon. The Café is spending a substantial amount of money for the improvement of the customer experience.” Indeed, we appreciate the investment they are making in this corner of our neighborhood, especially given that they have a 5 year lease and do not own the building.
- Once the deck construction is complete, Asratie will seek to renew the Café’s beer and wine license. It is expected that the renewal process will take 45 days if there is no protest. (Once they have submitted their beer and wine application, we will let readers know how they can support if they choose.)
- Another exciting event for the Café was a live feature on WUSA Channel 9 yesterday. Check out the video here. Way to go Chef Askale! Congrats on your first TV appearance.
- Asratie wanted me to be sure to share Askale Café’s new hours with everyone – they will now be open Monday through Thursday from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm, Friday 7:00 am – 9:00 pm, Saturday 10:00 am – 9:00 pm and closed Sunday. Of course, as they grow the business they may tweak these hours again.
- Lastly, look out for a new Café website coming soon. For now, you can check them out at their current website, Facebook and Twitter.
Askale Café is located at 3629 12th Street, NE.