Anyone familiar with the playground at the Mary McLeod Bethune Day Academy off Irving St. between 13th and 14th knows that the old playground was rusted and in pretty bad condition, to the point that neighbors were making small fixes on the equipment themselves. The great news is that the old playground has been removed and replaced by a new fantastic one!
This was a true community/school partnership, and as of last Saturday the playground is open to the public. A lot of work went into making the new playground and garden a reality, many thanks go to the following:
- School founder Dr. Linda McKay, who put the playground upgrade on the school’s front burner.
- KaBOOM!, the incredible D.C.-based national nonprofit that works to promote play for children.
- The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation. They not only provided a huge financial contribution, but about 100 Marriott employees volunteered on site as part of Marriott’s Global Day of Service.
- Casey Trees, which not only graciously donated plants, but many wheelbarrows and tools as well.
- Abbot Klar Real Estate Group came through with a large financial donation that enabled organizer to meet the required community match
- Brookland Neighbors, who organized, volunteered, lent tools and made donations