Here is the latest from the Ward 5 Neighbors for Statehood group shared with us by Josh Burch:
I wanted to let you know that we’ll forego a March meeting but that doesn’t mean we’re not working on statehood affairs. Our next meeting will be the weekend of April 13th & 14th and will confirm with our host soon the specific date and time. We have a big lobby day in the House and Senate coming up on April 16th and we need you to volunteer to join us. Just to keep you up to date here are a few things that we’ve accomplished in the last few weeks and what we have in front of us:
· Lobby Day on March 1, 2013: 16 citizens met with 11 Senate offices. Majority of the citizen group was from the Ward 5 Neighbors for Statehood team. It was an extremely productive lobby day.
· Lobby Day Review: Several participants of the lobby day met at San Antonio Grille to review the strengths and areas for improvement for our lobby day. The group also came up with some ideas for future actions to get friends and family around the country involved in our cause.
· Neighborhood Outreach: Joan Shipps spoke at the Woodridge Civic Assoc. and Josh Burch spoke at the Trinidad Neighborhood Assoc. recently about our mission and work. We still have more civic associations in Ward 5 to reach out to and speak with.
· Grinnell Alumni Newsletter: Anne Anderson submitted a piece about DC Statehood to her alumni newsletter. This is a great model to replicate to spread the word around the country!
· Lobby Materials: Thanks to the work of many people on our team we now and finalized lobby materials for anyone to download and use for contacting members of the 113th Congress. To download lobby materials view our site here.
· April 16th Lobby Day: On the heels of a great March 1st Lobby Day on April 16th we’re expanding on our successful Emancipation Day lobby day from last year. Last year we only concentrated on the House side but this year, as our numbers are growing, we’ll be able to host lobby days in both the House and the Senate. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS so if you can join us please contact Josh (joshburch1(at)yahoo(dot)com). The lobby day will take place in the afternoon after Emancipation Day activities have finished at the Wilson Building downtown.
· Statehood History Forum: Still in the conceptual stage group members would like to host a DC Statehood History Forum/Panel to help learn about the great work done in previous decades for statehood so we have a sense of what’s been done and accomplished to help guide where we need to be headed
- Ward 5 House Parties: We still need more people in Ward 5 to host Statehood House Parties with your friends, family, and neighbors so that more people can learn about why statehood is important, understand why it is achievable, and learn what they can do to assist in our efforts.