We recently learned about Shout Mouse Press, a nonprofit writing program and publishing house for those from marginalized backgrounds to tell their own stories in their own voices. They will be having an event at nearby Busboys and Poets, to mark the publication of a book, The Day Tajon Got Shot, written by ten teen girls. From the event page:
Join us to learn more about this ambitious project, and be the first ones to get your hands on the powerful new book!
- Meet the teen authors and hear about how and why they wrote.
- Hear dramatic readings of scenes from the book by professional actors.
- Discuss the role of teen voices in the new civil rights movement with all book contributors, including a poet from Split This Rock and teen photographer from Critical Exposure.
- Books will be on-sale at the event.
- If you can’t make it that evening, you can always pre-order copies online through Shout Mouse Press, to be shipped after book launch.
- For bulk orders and educator/nonprofit discounts, contact email@example.com
Complimentary appetizers will be provided, and the full menu at Busboys and Poets will be available for individual order.
Busboys and Poets is located at 625 Monroe Street NE.