Back in April we wrote about a restaurant called City Kabob. that was opening in the space Spice of Bukhara occupied, across from Trinity University. By now, City Kabob is up and running, so we thought we would gather some friends, order a bunch of food and give them a try. (You need flash to see the photos, if you can’t see them, click here.)
Joining us for dinner were four other friends, one of which is originally from India, and his partner who has traveled India extensively, who we relied upon for our “authenticity factor”. (Generally speaking, they said that the food, despite being delicious, was very Americanized, like pretty much all Indian restaurants here. Ok, so much for that.) We gave City Kabob a call ahead of time to see what the delivery and pick up options are. Of course, dining in the restaurant is also an option. The friendly person who answered the phone informed us that we could order delivery through UberEATS now and that they would be delivering as well in a matter of weeks. So we opened our UberEATS app and ordered the following (all are photographed in the slideshow above):
- Kachumber Salad – Cucumber salad: very crisp, fresh and crunchy. We would get this again for sure.
- Vegetable Korma – Veggies sauteed in a yogurt sauce. One friend said “if all vegetables tasted like this, I would eat them more often.”
- Yellow Daal – This lentil dish scored very high for the authenticity factor
- Naan – We ordered a few orders, at $1.95 each, it is a great way to sop up the yummy sauces. They came hot and fresh, wrapped in foil and we enjoyed the left over Naan for breakfast the next day.
- Lamb Kabob – This was Astrid’s favorite dish. She said that she could tell the meat was of high quality. I enjoyed the spiciness of the meat, a little unexpected.
- Chickpeas side dish – This was a surprise hit. They were very flavorful, with a hint of heat. One friend said “those chickpeas are amazing…who knew…”
- Shrimp Masala – This was my favorite dish of the night. The sauce was rich and silky. I was craving it again the next day.
- Butter Chicken – The chicken was super tender and the sauce was very yummy.
All in all, I could see us ordering from City Kabob again in the near future, as could all of our guests. City Kabob is located at 204 Michigan Avenue NE, in the small strip mall across from Trinity Washington University, and near the Basilica.