Back in August we wrote about a Zoning Commission hearing for a proposed hotel/conference center at the intersection of Michigan Avenue and Irving Street NE. We recently learned that that the Zoning Commission approved changes to the project, which was initially approved several years ago. As part of the latest approval, the Zoning Commission made the following requirements of the developer:
- the re-design/overhaul of the Michigan Ave and Irving Street NE intersection
- the re-design/overhaul of the North Capitol Street and Irving Street NE intersection
- complete a Comprehensive Traffic Review
- provide ANC 5A or SMD 5A05 with meeting room space
- reduced rates for reasonable use of the hotel and conference center by residents of ANC 5A
You can download the Zoning Notice here. Our understanding is that the next step is for the development team to file building permit applications by July 31, 2016. The 5 acre property will be developed in phases. The first phase will include a nine story hotel with 168 Residence Inn rooms and 168 Courtyard by Marriott rooms with a ground-floor restaurant, and a three-story conference center. A later phase will include 2 more nine-story buildings (either hotel or residential) and additional conference center space. We will let you know when we hear anything new.